Friday, November 9, 2012

Time for Kids Homework

Today a new Time for Kids magazine went home. I reviewed with the class the expectation for the work that they turn in and we worked together to write a reading response (below) and the Retell Summary (below). Only 4 students completed last week's assignment, and I hope that today's review with the class today will help them with this assignment so I have more students successfully completing their homework. Please read the example below of a week's worth of Time for Kids homework! This week they will be reading about Hurricane Sandy and other current events topics. The homework is due NEXT Friday, November 16th.




Brianna Njaa
Time For Kids
Reading Responses

Friday
11/2/12
A Surfer’s Story

When the article said that they are making a movie about surfing legend Jay Moriarity, I was thinking that he must have really liked surfing and was really good at it. This helps me understand that if you work really hard at something that you really like people will notice.

Monday
11/5/12
Free-Falling

When the article said daredevil Felix Baumgartner jumped from 24 miles above the ground, I was thinking that he must be really brave and have a lot of confidence that he would land safely. This helps me understand that he put a lot of thought into everything that could go wrong and figured out ways to keep himself safe during the jump.

Tuesday
11/6/12
Chess Champions

When the article said students whose families don’t have a lot of money were the most successful middle school chess team in the nation, I was thinking they must have put a lot of time and effort into learning the game Chess. This helps me understand that it doesn’t matter who you are, anyone can work hard and make great accomplishments.

Wednesday
11/7/12
Counting the Votes

When the article said the first candidate to 270 electoral college votes will become president, I was thinking that nobody knows who will go to the White House before they count the votes. This helps me understand why they have to try so hard to get people to vote for them.

Thursday
11/8/12
Good Enough to Eat

The Time for Kids article, Good Enough to Eat, by Suzanne Zimbler, explains how bugs are good for people and have lots of vitamins and minerals in them. In the beginning, a bug scientist traveled the world discovering how people eat bugs. Next, the article says in 2050 the need for meat will be greater and we should start eating bugs. Then, the article says bugs might be the food of the future because they can live off of our scraps. Finally,  the article says there are restaurants in New York that has fried grasshopper tacos and 10 – 15 people order it per day. I am thinking that some people should try new things and start eating bugs because they have protein, vitamins and minerals.


No comments:

Post a Comment